Our renowned institution was founded as a primary school on 14th April 1864 by Mr. Martin a retired Head constable at the Bagavath padithurai Mandapam. Many munificent persons like Sri Ragunathaswami Rao, Rau Bahadhur, T.Gopal Rao, Shri. Gopu Subburaya Chettiyar played a pivotol role in the growth of Town High School.
The most respected landlord and also the then president of Kudanthai Shri. P. Thambusamy Mudhaliyar offered his rich plantain grove of 1,00,800 square feet land at the bottom rock price for the school.
The foundation stone for the main building was laid by Shri. Porter on 29th December 1881. Under the careful supervision of Thambusamy Mudhaliyar the school building grew majestically. In 1892 the building was opened by then Director of School Education Dr. Duncan.
The first floor of the main building was constructed successfully under the supervision of the then school secretary Shri. Subramaniya Iyer alias Shri Kannavyar. The school flourished gradually by the staunch support and patronage of eminent persons like Shri. V.Srinivasa Iyer, Shri. Sadhu Seshaiyar, Shri. V. Krishna Iyer, Shri. Veerasamy Iyer and A.C. Narayanasamy Iyer.
The Primary Block, now called Thambusamy Mudhaliyar valagam, was constructed in 1905 during the tenure of the then secretary Shri. N. Krishnasamy Iyengar. Science Lab, Typewriting Hall were constructed in 1915 during the period of the school secretary T.K. Sivarama Iyer. The library hall constructed in memory of the late Headmaster Shri. S.Krishnasamy Iyer was opened by the Right Honourable V.S. Srinivasa Sastri in 1926.
The First floor of the main building constructed by Shri.S.Vaithiyanatha Iyer in 1951 was opended in 1953 by Dr.C.P.Rangasamy Iyer.
During the tenure of the school secretary Dr.M.V. Thiyagaraja Iyer under the supervision of Shri. A.R. Ramaiyar, the room for the office secretary course was opened by Shri. R. Kandasamy Moopanar in 1960.
Jayalakshmi Music Hall was constructed in 1968 from school fund and the donation of Rs.1000 by Gangatharapuram Shri. Gothaiammal.
The grand centenary celebration of the school was celebrated excellently on 21st September 1964 with Shri Swaminatha Udaiyar as the president of the function. Tamilnadu Governor Mysore King Bagadhur Jaya Samaraja Vadaiyar was the chief guest of the function.
With the generous donation of Rs. 10,000 by Shri. S. Thiruvengadam and his family the lunch hall was constructed in memory of the Elanagar Madapoozi Madurai Shri. K. Srinivasa Iyengar. Dasarathy Kalaiarangam was built in 1977. On 4th July Town High School was upgraded as Town Hr.Sec.School.
Bharathiyar Centenary Celebration Block was constructed during the tenure of the school secretary Shri.N.Navaneetha Krishnan and it was opened on 21st January 1983 by the Vice Chancellor of Bharathidasan University Prof. P.S. Manisundaram. A room was constructed above the music hall.
During the tenure of school Secretary Sri N. Navaneethakrishnan Centenary Celebration of the Mathematical genius Sri Srinivasa Ramanujan old student of the school was celebrated colourfully on 15th of October 1987 with Sri G. Karuppaiya Moopanar M.P. as the President of the function. Smt. Krishnashahi honourable deputy Minister of Indian culture Government of India and our alumnus Sri.V.V. Swaminathan, honourable minister of electricity, tourism and HR & CE Government of Tamilnadu and
Dr. A. Gnanam, Vice Chancellor of Bharathidasan University were the Chief Guests of the function. All India level Mathematical conference was held in THSS to celebrate the function.
The dilapidated engineering section was demolished completely. The Proprietor of G.R.Thanga Maligai, Shri G.R. Rajendran donated Rs. 60,000/-, the CUB, Kumbakonam donated Rs. 50,000/-, the Old Students of 1989-90 batch and also the teaching and non-teaching members donated Rs. 75,000/- to construct the Ramanujam Centernary Celebration Block. In the tenure of the school secretary Shri. N. Navaneethakrishnan a block was constructed and named after Shri Thambusamy Mudhaliar to honour him and opened on 11th January 1996. Further second floor was constructed with the donation of Rs.1,60,000/- from the senior High Court Advocate Shri. S. Gopala Ratnam during 2004-2005.
With the Central Government assistance, an engineering workshop was constructed near the library. School Committee President Dr. T. Seetharaman and secretary judiciously modernised the Headmaster’s room and the office with air condition. Library, Science lab, Computer lab were modernised at the cost of Rs. 12 lakh with the donation of Rs. 2 lakh from Lions Club.
To meet the sanitary demands of the swelling students strength, the old toilets at the backside of the school were demolished and modern toilets were constructed at the cost of Rs.20 Lakh with the donation of Rs. 1,25,000/- from old student 1981-1983 batch and Evergreen Santra Panteen.
An Indoor shuttle cock court at the cost of Rs.12 Lakh was constructed. The old student association celebrated its 75th anniversary during 2007-2008. To commemorate that event Shri. Ramanujan, the mathematical prodigy’s Bronze Bust was installed in front of the library hall.
The world famous HCL Chairman, old student, a great philanthropist Shri. Shiv Nadar donated computers, LCD Projector, UPS Devices and other required devices worth of Rs. 80 lakh for the school.
Temple Town Trust offered donation to have a multimedia room with all facilities in school ‘D’ Room.
The management committee is doing everything possible to improve the quality of education and to spread the light of education to the needy and rural students. It is a great pride for THSS that OSA stands with it in all tasks and achievements. It is a remarkable one that OSA stands shoulder to shoulder with THSS in all its growth and developments.